Pycnogenol is thought to be an antioxidant that helps protect cells from damagePycnogenol may help with asthma and allergies. Early research shows that taking it at least 5 weeks before the start of allergy season seems to lessen symptoms. Pycnogenol may have benefits for heart and artery health. It may lower blood pressure and improve blood flow to the legs. Some small studies suggest it may also protect against coronary artery disease and blood clots.There's good evidence that pycnogenol helps with eye damage caused by diabetes.
Pycnogenol is a water-soluble extract obtained from Pinus pinaster, mountain pine.
It is a combination of proanthocyanidins (dimers and oligomers), bioflavonoids, catechins, hydroxycinnamic acids (cinnamic, gallic, fumaric, coffee, vanillin, ferulic).
The total content of biologically active substances in terms of proanthocyanidins is 95%;
Pycnogenol has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects,
- Active against hydroxyl and superoxide radicals can be used in combination with ascorbic acid as its reducing agent ;
- Increases the activity of antioxidant enzymes (superoxide dismutase, glutathione peroxide, catalase);
- Reduces floor sex;
- It inhibits the expression of pro-inflammatory cytokines (interleukins 1,3,6) in a dose-dependent manner. The mechanism is realized by inactivation of the transcription factor-kB;
- In cell models (human keratinocyte line), it reduces the activity of genes calgranulin A and B, which play a role in the development of inflammation;
- Reduces the activity of MMPs 1,2,9. Moreover, this property is more pronounced in the metabolites of pycnogenol / catechin (3-methoxy-4-hydroxyphenyl-γ-valerolactone);
- It is an inhibitor of inducible nitric oxide synthase.
Pycnogenol properties relevant for cosmetology:
- Antioxidant activity;
- Correction of endothelial dysfunction;
- Stimulation of regeneration *;
- Correction of pigmentation, melasma;
- Decongestant effect.
Use in cosmetics:
- Day cosmetics, after-sun cosmetics **;
- Correction of hyperpigmentation;
- Acne ***
- Cosmetics for mature skin, anti-age direction.
** Proanthocyanidins contained in Pycnogenol have both UV absorption and anti-inflammatory activity, which is relevant to prevent the negative effects caused by UV radiation
*** The use of a lotion containing 0.5% Pycnogenol in 40 women with acne tarda led to positive results in 75% of cases, of which 5% of the clinical picture was regarded as a "dramatic improvement"
Pharmacodynamics. Transdermal absorption.
Pycnogenol is susceptible to absorption by the human skin (the transdermal bioavailability of 5% pycnogenol in polyethylene glycol has been demonstrated)
The absorption of low molecular weight compounds occurs sequentially (gallic, protocatechuic acid are detected after thirty minutes; catechin, p-hydroxybenzoic, vanillin after 4 hours).
Oral intake of dietary supplements containing Pycnogenol is aimed at
- Photoaging prevention; *
- Modulation of skin pigmentation (treatment of hyperpigmentation, formation of an even skin tone) and improvement of extracellular matrix homeostasis **
- Improving the barrier properties of the skin ***.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. The product above is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease.
PYCNOGENOL 90 Vegi Capsules
Pycnogenol seems to help with:
- Erectile dysfunction
- High cholesterol
- Memory problems
- Menopause symptoms
- Pain during pregnancy